Does Amitriptyline Show Up On A Drug Test
Amitriptyline is an active ingredient belonging to a category of drugs known as tricyclic antidepressants. Amitriptyline is indicated to treat many issues and disorders, such as depression, dysautonomia, fibromyalgia, vulvodynia and pudendal neuralgia. Examples of the common brands containing amitriptyline include: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip, Amimax, Amitop and Nextrip.
- How does Amitriptyline work
- How long does Amitriptyline stay in your system
- Will Amitriptyline show on a drug test?
- How long is Amitriptyline detectable
- What drug tests will show the presence of Amitriptyline in the system
- How is Amitriptyline stored in the body
- Best Products To Pass Drug Test
How does Amitriptyline work
In the central nervous system, amitriptyline-containing drugs work through increasing the levels of 2 hormones, including nor-epinephrine and serotonin. In order to do so, amitriptyline inhibits the reuptake of nor-epinephrine and serotonin, prolonging the time they can work in the body. In addition, amitriptyline also inhibits the activities of cholinergic and alpha-1 adrenergic receptors.
How long does Amitriptyline stay in your system
Up to 12.5 days since the last time you have administered amitriptyline, it is likely to stay in your system, as the half-life of amitriptyline ranges from 10-50 hours. Therefore, within 10-50 hours post-administration, 50% of the administered dose will no longer be active in your system, and so on till the full dose is eliminated.
Additionally, there are other factors that can significantly affect the duration amitriptyline stays in your system. Those factors differ from a person to another, including:
- Your age
- Your body mass
- The administered dosage. For example, if you administer an overdose, amitriptyline is likely to stay longer in your system.
- Whether you’re a mild or a chronic user of Baclofen
- Your metabolic rate of drugs. That determines how quickly your body is able to get rid of amitriptyline.
Will Amitriptyline show on a drug test?
Yes, amitriptyline shows on some drug tests that specifically test for tricyclic antidepressants. Furthermore, amitriptyline is likely to show false positive for amphetamine or benzodiazepines. However, that is much prone to be affected by the factors shown below.
- the type of the tests you are required to undergo
- the time the test is performed. What a certain test can detect within a certain time frame; another test can’t.
- Individual factors that differ from a person to person, as shown above.
How long is Amitriptyline detectable
Urine and blood
Within 24 hours post administration, around 25-50% of the administered dose of amitriptyline is estimated to be excreted through the urine; but, because of the long half-life of amitriptyline, it is likely to stay detectable in urine for up to 12.5+ days.
In blood, amitriptyline is likely detectable within shorter time because of being quickly metabolized. In case of overdose, that undoubtedly can increase the duration amitriptyline can stay in both blood and urine.
Hair, saliva and fingernails
Unlike narcotic drugs, amitriptyline is not likely to be detected through hair-based tests. Furthermore, although saliva based-tests can detect amitriptyline, they are rarely considered, as urine offers a proper medium for amitriptyline detection.
What drug tests will show the presence of Amitriptyline in the system
- Blood analysis
How is Amitriptyline stored in the body
After oral or intramuscular administration of amitriptyline, it is readily absorbed, rising in the blood stream till reaching a plasma peak level within 2-12 hours. Amitriptyline undergoes a certain type of metabolism known as first pass metabolism, which results in metabolizing around 40-70% of the administered dose, forming glucuronide or sulfate metabolites. Afterwards, within the previously-mentioned half-life range, amitriptyline is eliminated to outside the body majorly through urine; with a little amount excreted through feces.
- PubChem. Amitriptyline.
Best Products To Pass Drug Test
- Permanent Detox
- Time to work: 7 Days
- For those who have enough time, and want to detox from marijuana and other toxins, this kit will cleanse you in 7 days.
- Best solution
- Time to work: 90 minutes
- For those who need to pass a urine drug test on short notice. It works in just 90 minutes and is effective up to 5 hours, giving you enough time to pass your test