What Can Cause a False Positive For Benzodiazepines
Benzodiazepines are a group of drugs, such as Xanax, Zetran, Prosom, and Niravam. Benzodiazepines are used to treat four disorders, including anxiety, panic attack, seizures, and sleep-related disorders. Also, some barbiturates are used to ease some of the alcohol-withdrawal symptoms, and during surgeries.
What Can Cause a False Positive
- Sertraline-containing drugs, such as Zoloft, Actiser 100, Alin, Daxid, Despert, Episod, Mares, Pfizer, Ritalin, Seron, Serpa, Serpan, Xsert, and Zotral.
- Oxaprozin-containing drugs, such as Daypro
Certain analgesics are known as Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including Ibuprofen, Naproxen, and Tolmetin. Here is a list showing the common examples of drugs containing those analgesics:
- Motrin IB
- Midol IB
- Smart Sense Children’s Ibuprofen
- Aleve, Naprelan 375, Naprosyn, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, and EC-Naprosyn
- Flanax Pain Reliever, Midol, Leader Naproxen Sodium, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, Naprelan 750, and Naprelan Dose Card.
- Naproxen Sodium DS, Aleve Caplet, Aleve Gelcap, Aflaxen, Aleve Easy Open Arthritis.
- Tolectin 600
- Tolectin DS
Why Do Those Drugs Cause A False Positive
Drug tests lack specificity, which means that they detect benzodiazepines in the system through certain types of assays. Those types are not able to specifically detect benzodiazepines.
Instead, those tests depend on a structure-based technique that detects not only Benzodiazepines and their metabolites; but also all drugs and metabolites that have structures similar to those of benzodiazepines, causing a false positive for benzodiazepines.
How Long Can Those Drugs Cause A False Positive
Importantly, other factors can significantly affect the false positive results of benzodiazepines’ tests. Those factors differ from a person to another, including:
- your age
- As long as those drugs or their metabolites are still in your system, they are likely to cause a false positive for benzodiazepines.
- your body mass
- The administered dosage. For example, if you administer an overdose of any of the previously-mentioned drugs, that undoubtedly will take a longer time to be cleared from the body.
- Whether you’re a light or a chronic user of the previous drugs.
- Your metabolic rate of drugs, which determines how quickly your body can get rid of those drugs.
- The type of tests you are required to undergo, as well as the time the test is performed. Each test has a certain time frame to detect certain drugs.
Best Products To Pass Drug Test
- Permanent Detox
- Time to work: 7 Days
- For those who have enough time, and want to detox from marijuana and other toxins, this kit will cleanse you in 7 days.
- Best solution
- Time to work: 90 minutes
- For those who need to pass a urine drug test on short notice. It works in just 90 minutes and is effective up to 5 hours, giving you enough time to pass your test