When it comes to getting a job, a drug test can be a dealmaker or a deal breaker. It can determine whether you get that job you really need, or if the police are called on the day of the test – after you fail it. The last thing you want is going to jail on the day you’re supposed to be getting a job.
While drug tests seem ridiculous now that the marijuana legalization movement is gaining momentum with each passing day, some employers still give them. If you’ve been called for a job interview and are required to take a drug test, worry not. Hydrogen peroxide can be your trusted friend in time of need.
How A Saliva Drug Test Detects Marijuana
This test checks for active THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive form of marijuana that gives you a high. The common misconception is that fresh cannabis contains THC, but the plain truth is it contains almost none. It is filled with THCA (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinolic acid) which must pass through heat to become active THC.
When you vape or smoke weed, THCA is activated by the heat and changed to THC. The same chemical process takes place when you bake marijuana in the oven or slow cook it in oil or butter to make cannabutter – which is used to make edibles. The common name for this activation process is decarbing.
After you smoke, delta-9 THC is absorbed by your saliva glands and forms a coat inside your mouth. If you eat marijuana edibles, your exposure is decreased, but you’re still eating decarbed cannabis. A lot of this THC doesn’t go to the bloodstream, it simply stays in your saliva till you gradually swallow it and get rid of its traces.
Now that you know a little about THC and THCA, let’s get back on track. How does a saliva drug test show a potential employer that the person they are about to hire is a lover of weed?
The test detects DELTA-9 THC , a cannabis molecule that can be found in the mouth. Weed smoke is rich in this molecule. When you smoke a joint, the smoke contaminates your oral cavity and stays up to 24 hours (National Center for Biotechnology Information). As the hours pass, the levels of THC in the mouth decrease as it gets absorbed into the bloodstream.
However, if your weed is more potent, THC can stay in your system for up to a week.
The saliva test is usually a qualitative type of test and gives a negative or a positive result. Different employers give a cut-off mark for the test (10 ng/mL, 20 ng/mL, 25 ng/mL, and so on). If the saliva sample has a THC level higher than the indicated cut-off mark, the test will turn out positive; if it’s below the cut-off mark, the test will be negative.
Does Hydrogen Peroxide Really Work?
In October 2014, a clinical study was conducted on 11 chronic cannabis smokers (National Center for Biotechnology Information). The purpose of the study was to determine the effects of three different mouthwashes – Kleaner, whole milk, and water – on THC oral fluid concentrations (oral fluid is a combination of saliva and oral mucosal transudate).
The study was done in 4 days. On the first, second, and third day, the participants smoked their daily dose of weed. Oral fluid samples were collected before smoking and after smoking (30 minutes, 1, 3, 6, 12, and 24 hours after smoking).
The specimens collected were t=-0.5h before smoking and t=0.25 after smoking. On the first day, all the participants rinsed their mouths with water before the specimens were collected. On the second day, 6 participants used whole milk to rinse their mouths and 5 used Kleaner. On the third day, a sample was collected before and after the participants rinsed their mouths with water.
Researchers observed that after a water rinse, there were significantly lower concentrations of THC in the oral fluid samples.
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Use Hydrogen Peroxide Before a Drug Test
- Refrain from smoking a joint two days (48 hours) before the test. Marijuana is most effective the first 48 hours after its intake. While people are different and some can smoke later and still get negative results, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Don’t let a joint be the reason you don’t get that job you want
- Brush your teeth 3 times every day and gargle a mouthful of the hydrogen peroxide solution. Let it stay inside your mouth for a few minutes before you spit it out. Use mouthwash and drink lots of water as water cleans both your mouth and body. Also make sure you eat fatty foods as THC bonds to fat which removes it from the mouth quicker
- This is the most important point. On the day of the test, brush your teeth thoroughly, giving special attention to every area – especially the area where the swab will be placed. Afterwards, gargle with the hydrogen peroxide solution 3-4 times
- Carry a tiny mouthwash bottle and a water bottle to the test venue. Gargle one last time and drink as much water as you can before the test to remove any lingering traces of THC
To Sum It Up
Hydrogen peroxide can help you to pass that saliva drug test and get that job you really need (which will pay for your weed). But the thing is, regular water also works. If you want to save money, stick to water.
For the best results, you can use the two together.
When it comes to a drug test, time is of the essence. Don’t smoke or eat weed edibles 2 days before the test and you’ll be good to go.
Best Products To Pass Drug Test
$ 59.99 $ 77.99
- Permanent Detox
- Time to work: 7 days
- For those who have enough time, and want to detox from marijuana and other toxins, this kit will cleanse you in 7 days.
$ 59.99 $ 77.99
- Temporary results. Up to 5 hours
- Time to work: 90 minutes
- For those who need to pass a urine drug test on short notice. It works in just 90 minutes and is effective up to 5 hours, giving you enough time to pass your test.
$ 50.99 $ 66.29
- Permanent results
- Time to work: 25 days
- For those, who want to get clean and have more than 1 week.