Robitussin is an expectorant drug containing an active ingredient known as Guaifenesin, which is indicated to treat wet cough and chest congestion. There are many drugs containing Guaifenesin and are similar to Robitussusn such as Duratuss G, Scot-Tussin, Ganidin NR, GG 200 NR, GuaiFENesin LA, Q-Bid LA, Liquibid, Muco-Fen 1200 and Organidin NR.
- How does Robitussin work
- How long does Robitussin stay in your system
- Will Robitussin show on a drug test?
- How long is Robitussin detectable
- What drug tests will show the presence of Robitussin in the system
- How is Robitussin stored in the body
- Best Products To Pass Drug Test
How does Robitussin work
Robitussin helps the body get rid of the mucus secretions associated with cough, which are commonly noticeable during allergies and cold. Robitussin works through 3 main effects, as follows. 1- Making the mucus less viscous. 2- Inducing the hydration of mucus. 3- Improving the effectiveness of a certain mechanism known as mucociliary mechanism, which in turn helps get rid of the mucus accumulated in the respiratory passages.
How long does Robitussin stay in your system
Up to 6 hours since the last time you have administered Robitussin, it is likely to stay in your system. The reason is that the half-life of Robitussin is 60 minutes. Therefore, within 60 minutes post-administration, half the administered dose of Robitussin will no longer be active in your system, and so on till the full dose is eliminated.
Furthermore, there are other factors that can significantly affect the duration Robitussin stays in your system. Those factors differ from a person to another, including:
- Your age
- Your body mass
- The administered dose. For example, in case of overdose, Robitussin is much likely to stay longer in your system.
- Whether you’re a mild or a chronic user of Robitussin
- Your metabolic rate of drugs. That determines how quickly your body is able to get rid of Robitussin.
Will Robitussin show on a drug test?
No, Robitussin is not likely to show on drug tests, as it is just an expectorant drug. However, it is important not to confuse cough drugs containing guaifenesin combined with other ingredients such as dextromethorphan and codeine; as such drugs are likely to show false positive and positive, respectively, in drug tests.
How long is Robitussin detectable
Urine and blood
Up to 24 hours post-administration, Robitussin is likely detectable in your urine; while in blood, it is likely detectable within shorter time, as Guaifenesin is mainly excreted through urine. In case of overdose, that undoubtedly can increase the duration Robitussin is detectable in both blood and urine.
Hair, saliva and fingernails
Up to 24 hours post-administration, Robitussin is likely detectable in saliva; while hair and fingernails’ samples are rarely considered for Robitussin testing.
What drug tests will show the presence of Robitussin in the system
- Blood analysis
- Saliva-based tests, such as high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)
How is Robitussin stored in the body
After Robitussin administration, it is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and rises in the blood, reaching a plasma peak level. With blood components, Robitussin travels to airway passages where it works.
Afterwards, within the previously-mentioned half-life, around 60% of the guaifenesin contained in Robiussin is hydrolyzed, forming a main metabolite known as Beta-lactic acid, which is then eliminated to outside the body through the urine.
Best Products To Pass Drug Test
$ 59.99 $ 77.99
- Permanent Detox
- Time to work: 7 days
- For those who have enough time, and want to detox from marijuana and other toxins, this kit will cleanse you in 7 days.
$ 59.99 $ 77.99
- Temporary results. Up to 5 hours
- Time to work: 90 minutes
- For those who need to pass a urine drug test on short notice. It works in just 90 minutes and is effective up to 5 hours, giving you enough time to pass your test.
$ 50.99 $ 66.29
- Permanent results
- Time to work: 25 days
- For those, who want to get clean and have more than 1 week.