How Long Do Steroids Stay in Your System and Show Up on a Drug Test
An impending drug test can be cause for worry and anxiety especially if you do not know what to expect. If you have used steroids in the recent past, it may help you to know that the amount of time that they stay in your system can vary.
Steroids that have been ingested intravenously are likely to be detectable in the body for 3 to 4 months while orally ingested ones may stay for about 1 to 4 weeks.
Different types of tests also offer varied window periods. A saliva test might not detect use after 4 days while a urine one may go up to a month, and so can a blood test. On the other hand, body hair can betray you for several months or even a year. The half-lives of different types of steroids can also give you a sneak peak of what to expect.
Having the right information at your fingertips can either help you predict results or prepare you on how to deal with the outcome. Stick around for details on this and more.
- Steroid Metabolism and Excretion
- Factors Affecting the Excretion of Steroids
- How are Steroids Detected on Drug Tests
- How Long are Steroids Detectable In the Body
- How long do effects of steroids last
- What Can Cause False Positive
- Best Products To Pass Drug Test
Steroid Metabolism and Excretion
When anabolic steroids are ingested, the compounds undergo biotransformation in the stomach. With the help of the liver and the small intestine, they are metabolized and testosterone separated from the various carrier substances.
The testosterone is absorbed into the blood stream and attaches to specialized protein receptors in cells that help in growing new proteins. Depending on whether the steroids are fast acting or long acting, they might make noticeable changes in as little as 24 hours or take up to two weeks.
On the other hand, the liver and the kidney work hard to eliminate the steroid metabolites, mostly via urine. Various steroids produce different metabolites and products which are found in urine in large amount even after stopping the use.
Some products and metabolites produced during metabolism of testosterone include epitestosterone, Dihydrotestosterone and even oestrogen which are produced and used as indicators of steroid use in drug tests. Another example is 19-norandrosterone which is a metabolite of Deca-Durabolin (Nandrolone Decanoate). The excretion duration of steroids depends on the factors explained below.
Factors Affecting the Excretion of Steroids
There is no standard time that determines the excretion of steroids from your system. Nevertheless, the following factors might just help you to predict the process.
Type of steroid
This has a lot to do with the half-life; the length of time that it takes to get half the amount of a drug from your system. It varies from one steroid to another. The longer it is, the longer the excretion time.
Un-esterified steroids like testosterone suspension are released faster compared to the esterified ones. This means that the urine also goes back to normal much faster.
Mode of administration
Orally ingested steroids reach the liver and blood stream faster than the injectables. This hastens the process of metabolism and excretion. The orals have half-lives ranging from 4 to 24 hours while the injectables average between 24 hours to 15 days.
Unique qualities of steroids
Some steroids come with qualities that drag the excretion process. For example, Deca-Durabolin (Nandrolone Decanoate) and Winstrol (Stanozolol) have metabolites that are unique and easy to detect in the urine of their users. These metabolites also tend to stick around a lot longer than most other steroids.
Dose and duration of use
Higher doses and longer duration of use will obviously take more time to metabolise and eliminate. This may also overload and slow the body’s metabolic system causing a drag in the whole system.
Anabolic steroids are naturally fat soluble. They can be easily absorbed into fat tissues and linger for some time. Still, some others like Deca (Nandralone) take this a step further. It can hang around for over a year since it is highly fat soluble.
Apart from the different metabolic rates among different individuals, some steroids just happen to be metabolism resistant. One such steroid is Trebolone. It shows up in undeniably large amounts in your urine even in un-metabolized state. This can happen for up to 5 months.
How are Steroids Detected on Drug Tests
Normal drug tests do not test for anabolic steroids. Steroid detection requires a very unique test. It is different in that it requires sophisticated and costly equipment. Apart from this, it tests for all known steroids until what the user is being tested for is arrived at.
The tests seek to detect the metabolites of these substances which are flushed from the body in urine. It is also possible to find large and easily detectable amounts of a steroid released in their original form especially within a short time of use.
When some time has passed between use of testosterone and testing, it is unlikely to have the large amounts in urine. This is where epitestosterone comes in; the testosterone: Epitestosterone ratio is supposed to be 1:1. Extreme deviation from this raises a red flag and can be considered doping. Other anabolic steroids produce unique metabolites that can be easily detectable.
How Long are Steroids Detectable In the Body
Several tests can be used to detect steroid use. The difference lies in their accuracy and the detection time.
It is the most common and reliable test. This is because it offers a longer window compared to the blood and saliva test. A large amount of drug residue, metabolites and by-products are released from the body via urine. It gives a detection period of about a month.
The test has a very short window. It is hassle free and fast. The detection time ranges from several hours to at most 4 days.
The test detects both the original compound and the metabolites. It requires at least 1.5 inches of head hair. It can detect use for up to 90 days. Body hair is even better; it can give a window of up to a year. The results are accurate but they may take a few days in the lab.
Steroids are metabolized through the liver and excreted via the kidney. They are released from the blood quite fast and may only provide evidence for about 14 to 28 days after use.
How long do effects of steroids last
Steroid effects are strongest when the cycle of a specific one is on. Once you stop using, the effects start wearing off gradually. Given the fact that steroids cause a lot of physical, emotional and psychological changes, it is only normal that they might take long to reverse.
The factors that affect how long steroids stay in your system also come into play. Some of the effects may last up to several years. In fact, a study published by BBC News claims that effects of steroids can go up to a decade after use.
What Can Cause False Positive
A false positive doping test can be caused by factors that increase the levels of Nandrolone metabolites in the specimen. These factors may include aromatisation of androgen to oestrogen, physical activity, trauma and hypoglycaemic stress and certain cofactors and herbal products among many.
- Anabolic. (n.d). How Long Do Steroids Stay in Your System? Retrieved from http://anabolic.co/anabolic-steroids/how-long-do-steroids-stay-in-your-system/
- BBC News. (2013). Steroids can benefit athletes for a decade after use. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-24730151
- Centre for Substance Abuse Research. (2013). Anabolic Steroids. Retrieved from http://www.cesar.umd.edu/cesar/drugs/steroids.asp
- Evolutionary. (2015). how long do steroids stay in your system. Retrieved from https://www.evolutionary.org/forums/anabolic-steroids-peds/how-long-do-steroids-stay-your-system-38159.html
- Evolutionary. (2016). Epitestosterone. Retrieved from https://www.evolutionary.org/epitestosterone-masking+agent
- Kohler, R. M. N. & Lambert, M. I. (2002)Urine Nandrolone Metabolites: False Positive Doping Test? British Journal of Sports Medicine Volume 36, Issue 5 http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/36/5/325
- Sherbet, D. P. MD $ Auchus, R. J. MD, PhD (2007) Peripheral Testosterone Metabolism. Retrieved from https://page-one.live.cf.public.springer.com/pdf/preview/10.1007/978-1-59745-453-7_12
- STEROIDABUSE. (2018). Deca Durabolin (Nandrolone Decanoate). Retrieved from https://www.steroidabuse.org/steroid-profiles/deca-durabolin/
- Steroidal. (2013). Steroid Detection Times. Retrieved from https://www.steroidal.com/steroid-detection-times/
- Steroidology.(2009). How Steroids Work in the Body. Retrieved from https://www.steroidology.com/how-steroids-work-in-the-body/
- TestCountry. (2018). All You Need To Know About Steroids Retrieved from https://testcountry.com/pages/all-you-need-to-know-about-steroids
- U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. (2015)What is Stanozolol. Retrieved from https://www.usada.org/what-is-stanozolol/
Best Products To Pass Drug Test
- Permanent Detox
- Time to work: 7 Days
- For those who have enough time, and want to detox from marijuana and other toxins, this kit will cleanse you in 7 days.
- Best solution
- Time to work: 90 minutes
- For those who need to pass a urine drug test on short notice. It works in just 90 minutes and is effective up to 5 hours, giving you enough time to pass your test