Will Sumatriptan Show On Drug Test?
Sumatriptan is an ingredient contained in many drugs that are indicated to treat migraine through more than one mechanism. Due to Sumatriptan’s positive effects on the central nervous system, especially euphoria, Sumatriptan is commonly abused. Examples of the drugs containing Sumatriptan include, Imitrex, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Onzetra Xsail and Zembrace SymTouch.
- How does Sumatriptan work
- How long does Sumatriptan stay in your system
- Will Sumatriptan show on a drug test?
- How long is Sumatriptan detectable
- What drug tests will show the presence of Sumatriptan in the system
- How is Sumatriptan stored in the body
- Best Products To Pass Drug Test
How does Sumatriptan work
Sumatriptan relieves migraine through binding to certain receptors in the central nervous system, which are known as serotonin 5-HT1D receptors, resulting in constricting the blood vessels of the brain, which mainly contribute to migraine. Furthermore, Sumatriptan inhibits the release of certain substances known as vasoactive neuropeptides as well as other inflammatory mediators that are responsible for triggering migraine symptoms.
How long does Sumatriptan stay in your system
Up to 15 hours since the last time you have administered Sumatriptan, it is likely to stay in your system. The reason is that the half-life of Sumatriptan is approximately 2.5 hours, which means that within 2.5 hours post-administration, 50% of the administered dose of Sumatriptan will no longer be active in the system, and so on till the full dose is eliminated.
Another research shows that Sumatriptan sometimes has a prolonged elimination rate from the system, which makes it likely to stay for around 24 hours.
Furthermore, there are other factors that can significantly affect the duration Sumatriptan stays in your system. Those factors differ from a person to another, including:
- Your age
- Your body mass
- The administered dose. For example, in case of overdose, Sumatriptan is likely to stay longer in your system.
- Whether you’re a mild or a chronic user of Sumatriptan.
- Your metabolic rate of drugs. That determines how quickly your body is able to get rid of Sumatriptan.
Will Sumatriptan show on a drug test?
Sumatriptan is not one of the substances drug tests are looking for, as it is not a scheduled drug; nor illicit. However, research provides kind of contradictory results, in regards to whether amoxicillin will or will not show false positive for benzodiazepines or amphetamines.
More importantly, the factors below can affect drug tests’ results, as follows:
- the type of the tests you are required to undergo
- the time the test is performed. What a certain test can show within a certain time frame; another test can’t.
- Individual factors that differ from a person to person, as shown above.
How long is Sumatriptan detectable
Urine and blood
Up to 2 days post-administration, Sumatriptan is likely detectable in your urine; while in blood, it is likely detectable within shorter time. The reason is that Sumatriptan is mainly eliminated through urine. In case of overdose, that undoubtedly can increase the duration of Sumatriptan detection in both blood and urine.
Hair, saliva and fingernails
Up to 2 days post-administration, Sumatriptan is likely detectable in saliva; while in hair and fingernails’ samples are rarely considered for Sumatriptan testing.
What drug tests will show the presence of Sumatriptan in the system
- Blood analysis
- Saliva-based tests, such as high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)
How is Sumatriptan stored in the body
After Sumatriptan administration, it is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, and rises in the blood stream, reaching a plasma peak level within an average of 12 minutes (in case of administering a 6-mg dose). Afterwards, within the previously-mentioned half-lives, around 3% of the administered Sumatriptan remains unchanged, and so is excreted in the urine; while 42% is metabolized, forming indole acetic acid.
Best Products To Pass Drug Test
- Permanent Detox
- Time to work: 7 Days
- For those who have enough time, and want to detox from marijuana and other toxins, this kit will cleanse you in 7 days.
- Best solution
- Time to work: 90 minutes
- For those who need to pass a urine drug test on short notice. It works in just 90 minutes and is effective up to 5 hours, giving you enough time to pass your test