Does Certo (Fruit Pectin) Work for Passing a Drug Test?
With the huge number of people who claim that the Certo method has helped them to pass a number of urine tests, there’s no doubt that it might work.
However, there are several common misunderstandings about how this fruit pectin method works. That’s what we’ll be talking about in this article.
I’ll also help you understand how to go about it, why it might work for some people and the scientific justification behind it.
- Certo – What is it?
- The Certo/Sure Jell Method (Ingredients and a Detailed guide)
- Does the Certo method work?
- Why Most People Think that the Certo Method Works
- Why Does this Method Work?
- Best Products To Pass Drug Test
Certo – What is it?
For the sake of those who might be new to this method, and to help everyone understand this method clearly, allow me to explain what Certo is.
Certo is the name of a popular brand that makes fruit pectin. As a product, this is a popular ingredient used in making jam. Basically, this is a liquid or powder rich in pectin- a natural fiber with excellent gelling properties hence its usage in making jam.
Certo is oftentimes referred to as Sure Gel. These are 2 different products from the same brand but they can be used interchangeably since they serve the same purpose.
If you don’t have Certo in your kitchen, you can easily get it either from the grocery store near you or from Amazon.
The Certo/Sure Jell Method (Ingredients and a Detailed guide)
What you need
- 1 packet of Certo fruit pectin
- 32oz of lemon-lime Gatorade
- Vitamin B12 or B2
- 1 gallon of water (approx 3.8L)
These are the key ingredients that you’ll require for this method. You might come across other sources with several other items on their lists. But the 4 items in the list above are the key working ingredients that have been reported to do the trick when used properly and with good timing.
How to use Certo to pass a drug test
- 3 hours to the screen test, add the entire packet of Certo into the bottle of Gatorade juice. You might want to take a few sips of the juice to create some room first
- Shake it thoroughly to create an even mixture. As a thickening agent, the Certo should make the juice thick and jelly-like
- Drink all of it. It’s sweet due to the high sugar content. But it does not have any flavor to it and will, therefore, not be any pleasant in your mouth. So, drink it quickly to avoid that sick feeling.
- Immediately after drinking the juice, take 2-3 cups of water. Continue drinking the remaining amount of water and take a pee whenever you feel the slightest urge to. Note that you’ll need to have urinated 3-4 times before the screening test to get rid of any urine with THC contamination
- One hour to the test, take a pill of vitamin B12 and continue drinking the water. Vitamin B12 works by giving your urine its color to avoid being flagged down for dilution
Stoners have dubbed Certo ‘a product from the gods’ thanks to its high pass rate. This method is popular thanks to the low cost of Certo and its ease of availability. Its 3-hour working time also makes it a go-to method especially when you have been called upon for a drug test on a short notice.
But as you’ll realize from most forums including boards.cannabis.com, the Certo method does not work for everyone. Neither does it work all the time.
That being said, I would only rely on it alone when I have to produce my pee for testing in a couple of hours.
Does the Certo method work?
Well, I would be dumb to claim that the Certo method does not work given the numerous positive testimonials around.
However, this method does not actually work the way people claim. If you know the principle behind Certo and how it works, then you’ll be able to tell the real HERO in this method. We’ll come back to this later in this article.
As at this time, let’s see a few misunderstandings that most people have regarding this method.
Why Most People Think that the Certo Method Works
Pectin coats the inside of your stomach
This is one of the most common online explanations that most sources give in support of the Certo method.
According to this myth, certo (or any other fruit pectin) works by creating a barrier along the stomach lining and your urine bladder.
The essence of this, as they say, is to block THC and other metabolites from getting into the urine.
This creates a window within which you can collect a clean sample that will help you pass a U/A test.
This is incorrect.
Worth noting, there isn’t any scientific justification to prove that Certo or any other fruit pectin does mask the walls of your stomach, urinary bladder, or anything else in your body.
This means that if it’s Certo that actually works in this method, then there must be a better explanation besides the belief that it coats your stomach lining.
Certo boosts the removal of THC through stool
The second theory behind this method’s reliability is based on 2 facts;
- Certo has pectin (soluble fiber)
- THC metabolites are fat soluble
This is an interesting argument that is a little bit more convincing than the first theory. Unfortunately, it does not have any scientific backing as well.
Pectin is a highly soluble type of fiber. Being a fiber means that it absorbs most of the liquid along its way.
This boosts the body’s performance to remove liquids through poop.
Another charm that boosts pectin’s role in this theory is its unique characteristic of forming a gel. This means that it is able to absorb more liquids than other types of fiber.
So, what does this have to do with increasing your chances of passing a drug test?
By now, you already know that the body eliminates THC metabolites mainly through stools. However, as I told you earlier, there’s still a small amount of THC that is reabsorbed through the lining of the large intestine into the blood for removal through the urine. This is why most drug tests are done through urinalysis.
THC and its metabolites are highly soluble in fat. To make fat soluble in water, the body excretes bile (also known as fat transporter) that binds to the fat thereby making it soluble in the water in your gastrointestinal tract.
Can you guess where this is heading to?
You are right. At the end of the day, you have THC metabolites that are now ‘technically soluble’ in water (thanks to bile) and a fiber that absorbs most of the water on its way out as stool.
This means that most of the THC metabolites are removed through your feces. Again, due to the high solubility nature of this fiber, only a small amount of the metabolites is reabsorbed through the large intestines. As a result, there is a very low amount of metabolites that ends up in the urine.
In addition, remember that fiber generally increases bowel movements. This means that the more Certo you take, the more THC you flush out of your body.
As a recap,
- The pectin fiber in Certo is highly soluble
- Most of the THC metabolites are removed through stool
- THC metabolites are fat soluble (not water soluble)
- The body produces bile that binds to fat
- Bile is soluble in water
- Pectin fiber absorbs water that has bile and THC metabolites
- Most of the fiber is removed from the body as stool
- Only a small amount of THC is reabsorbed through the large intestine for removal through urine
- This gives you a chance to collect a ‘clean’ urine sample
But as I told you, this is just a theory and lacks scientific support.
The amount of pectin fiber in Certo is also not clear. In that case, you can’t tell the amount of Certo that you need to swallow to ascertain a sure pass.
This is what brings up the question of the real hero in the Certo method.
Why Does this Method Work?
The Certo method works simply because it involves consuming a lot of water. This is to mean that you are simply diluting.
As I have just mentioned above, there isn’t any scientific proof of fruit pectin’s ability to mask the stomach lining or urinary bladder. Furthermore, the manufacturer is not specific on the amount of fiber in a packet of Certo. Therefore, we can’t proof that it’s the fiber content in Certo that helps in cheating the test or not.
On the other hand, dilution has always trumped all other urban myths in passing a drug test. This method involves taking a lot of water to reduce the concentration of THC metabolites in the urine sample to below the cutoff thresholds.
In fact, it’s worth noting that following the Certo method blindly may lead to a failed test. This is because drinking too much water ahead of a test dilutes your sample by lowering the level of creatinine and affecting the specific gravity.
This may lead to a repeat sample or a failed test that may consequently cost you a job or land you in jail. Read more about how to pass a drug test with the dilution method here.
Best Products To Pass Drug Test
- Permanent Detox
- Time to work: 7 Days
- For those who have enough time, and want to detox from marijuana and other toxins, this kit will cleanse you in 7 days.
- Best solution
- Time to work: 90 minutes
- For those who need to pass a urine drug test on short notice. It works in just 90 minutes and is effective up to 5 hours, giving you enough time to pass your test
317 53 52